View Issue Details

IDProjectCategoryView StatusLast Update
0008772Kali LinuxGeneral Bugpublic2024-07-09 12:18
ReporterMikeKachar Assigned To 
PrioritynormalSeverityminorReproducibilityhave not tried
Status newResolutionopen 
Summary0008772: Using GUI to Compress File(s)/Folder(s) No Longer Uses Filename Provided

Using Kali Linux 2024.2 (bare metal install).
The current issue did not use to be present, and was noticed just a couple weeks ago.

When right-clicking on a file, then selecting "Compress", to compress a file (or files) into a .zip file, you are also provided with a line where you can enter in what you want the output zip file to be named.
After entering in a name for the zip file, then continuing by pressing "compress", a new zip file is created, but the filename that was entered (to use for the new zip file) is NOT what the new zip file will be named.

I've noticed that when compressing a single file into a zip, the new zip file will be named whatever the single files name is, and will end in .zip.
When compressing multiple files, regardless of what you enter in for the new zip file to be named, once compressed, the new zip file will be given the name of whatever the folder/directory name is where the files being compressed are stored.

See attached screenshots for examples (with red highlighted areas to notice).

Attached Files (290,864 bytes)




2024-06-08 07:29

reporter   ~0019348

Not sure if this should be entered into the Desktop Environment (XFCE, Gnome,...) instead.



2024-06-13 06:53

manager   ~0019360

What desktop environment are you using? I'm testing it in Xfce with the newest Kali release and I can't reproduce it



2024-07-09 12:18

reporter   ~0019515

I apologize for my delay in responding on this. The DE I'm currently using on my Kali bare-metal install is Cinnamon.
Regarding this topic/issue, I have figured out a work-around/solution to the issue at hand:
I had figured out (a few days/a week after posting this issue) that, when naming the compressed file, if I made sure to include ".zip" at the end of the file name (even tho ".zip" is the selected extension), then the compressed file will appear with the given/typed name.
Previous to my post, it was not a requirement to include ".zip" at the end of the file name being given to the compressed file being created - I assume this changed after an update.

I've also noticed that there must've been another, recent update, because now, if you do not include ".zip" in the file name, I am not able to even create the compressed file. Only after adding ".zip" to the file name can the compressed file be created.
IMO its a bit redundant to require the file name include the extension at the end of the file name, and then also be required to select the extension in which the compressed file should be (i.e., .zip).

In any case, I would say that this issue can now be marked as resolved. Things are working "properly" (albeit a bit differently than before), and I see no further issue.
Thanks for your time, folks!

Issue History

Date Modified Username Field Change
2024-06-07 22:23 MikeKachar New Issue
2024-06-07 22:23 MikeKachar File Added:
2024-06-08 07:29 kali-bugreport Note Added: 0019348
2024-06-13 06:53 daniruiz Note Added: 0019360
2024-07-09 12:18 MikeKachar Note Added: 0019515