View Issue Details
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0003879||Kali Linux||[All Projects] Queued Tool Addition||public||2017-02-14 04:13||2020-12-01 11:13|
|Priority||normal||Severity||minor||Reproducibility||have not tried|
|Target Version||Fixed in Version|
|Summary||0003879: timing_attack - Profiles web application endpoints and sorts according to response time to reveal timing differences and aid in|
|Description||I just released 0.5.3, which relaxes the version constraints of timing_attack to be compatible with a current Kali install. 0.5.3 builds fine for me on my Kali VM with gem2deb and installs, runs, etc as expected. I'm happy to maintain the package as part of the release process on timing_attack - just point me at the documentation for PRs, your workflow, etc.|
timing_attack itself is a gem that I built to enumerate timing vulnerabilities in web applications. It's been used for Real Work, though it's not the sort of thing that's going to have interesting whitepapers written about it. My main goal in writing it was being able to quickly test whether a couple known vulnerabilities had been fixed, so ease-of-use was paramount. I think it'd be a good addition to Kali, especially since its only two runtime dependencies are already included. Its brute-force mode isn't all that useful unless the app is doing some *really* weird hashing (it of course doesn't have resolution down to the handful of nanoseconds required), but enumeration mode works great for e.g. telling if entries exist in the application's database.
To help speed up the process of evaluating the tool, please make sure to include the following information (the more information you include, the more beneficial it will for us):
- [Name] - The name of the tool
- [Version] - What version of the tool should be added?
--- If it uses source control (such as git), please make sure there is a release to match (e.g. git tag)
- [Homepage] - Where can the tool be found online? Where to go to get more information?
- [Download] - Where to go to get the tool?
- [Author] - Who made the tool?
- [Licence] - How is the software distributed? What conditions does it come with?
- [Description] - What is the tool about? What does it do?
- [Dependencies] - What is needed for the tool to work?
- [Similar tools] - What other tools are out there?
- [How to install] - How do you compile it?
- [How to use] - What are some basic commands/functions to demonstrate it?
- [Name] - timing_attack
- [Version] - 0.7.0
--- If it uses source control (such as git), please make sure there is a release to match (e.g. git tag) Check
- [Homepage] - https://github.com/ffleming/timing_attack
- [Download] - https://github.com/ffleming/timing_attack, https://rubygems.org/gems/timing_attack
- [Author] - Forrest Fleming
- [Licence] - MIT
- [Description] - Profiles web application endpoints and sorts according to response time to reveal timing differences and aid in enumeration
- [Dependencies] - Ruby (typhoeus gem, ruby-progressbar gem)
- [Similar tools] - Unsure; I wrote the tool because I could only find fairly obnoxious research-quality platforms, but I just wanted to enumerate some logins.
- [How to install] - gem install timing_attack (or similar for apt-distributed gems)
- [How to use] - timing_attack -q -u TARGET login1 login2 ... loginN
@kali-team, please could this be packaged up.
@author, If you want to help the packaging process, you can check the documentation here ~ https://www.kali.org/docs/development/public-packaging
|2017-02-14 04:13||fsf||New Issue|
|2018-01-29 10:33||g0tmi1k||Summary||I'd like to include the timing_attack gem in Kali => timing_attack gem in Kali|
|2018-01-29 15:15||g0tmi1k||Note Added: 0008489|
|2018-02-17 17:36||fsf||Note Added: 0008691|
|2019-12-09 13:30||g0tmi1k||Severity||tweak => feature|
|2020-03-30 14:36||g0tmi1k||Note Added: 0012564|
|2020-03-30 14:36||g0tmi1k||Status||new => acknowledged|
|2020-03-30 14:36||g0tmi1k||Category||New Tool Requests => Queued Tool Addition|
|2020-03-30 14:36||g0tmi1k||Summary||timing_attack gem in Kali => timing_attack|
|2020-06-17 14:58||g0tmi1k||Severity||feature => minor|
|2020-12-01 11:13||g0tmi1k||Summary||timing_attack => timing_attack - Profiles web application endpoints and sorts according to response time to reveal timing differences and aid in|