View Issue Details

IDProjectCategoryView StatusLast Update
0004795Kali Linux[All Projects] Kali Package Bugpublic2018-06-15 13:33
Reporteralimp5Assigned Torhertzog 
PrioritynormalSeverityminorReproducibilityunable to reproduce
Status closedResolutionunable to reproduce 
Product Version2018.2 
Target VersionFixed in Version 
Summary0004795: Failed to connect to bus: Connection refused
Also I reported this issue to Dbus and SystemD teams, but they couldn't help me to fix this issue.

I haven't access to XFCE menus (top+below of the screen).
I have nothing on desktop (i just can see background picture).

Additional Informationroot@kali: systemctl --user
  Failed to connect to bus: Connection refused
root@kali: systemctl --user list-units
  Failed to connect to bus: Connection refused
I got below error in a window:
Unable to connect to socket /run/user/0 ....... bus: connection refused



2018-06-11 12:40

reporter   ~0009233

Used distribution:
    Kali Linux RaspberryPi-3-B [upgraded to latest changes via sudo apt-get dist-upgrade.
root@kali: uname -a
    Linux kali 4.9.59-v7_Re4son-Kali-Pi+ 0000001 SMP Wed Feb 14 20:50:28 CST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux


2018-06-13 06:55

reporter   ~0009236


I found a solution:
I uninstalled two packages and removed the content of two below directories, Then I reboot the RPi-Zero and XFCE4 works fine.
I think the problem was from XFCE-Session holder/cache and similar.

root@kali: rm -fr ~/.cache/sessions/*
Also, I might need to clear the entire .cache directory if the above doesn't fix the issues (I did it):
root@kali: rm -fr ~/.cache

Then I removed kali-menu kali-linux-full and similar packages and after reboot, I installed them again (Also Kali distro downloaded more than 900 packges for reinstalling kali-linux-xxxxxx similar packges.) (unfortunately I cleared the HISTORY command cache. because I wanted to paste them here:/ )

Thanks in advance


2018-06-15 13:33

administrator   ~0009258

I think the error messages shown and reported to systemd/dbus are unrelated to the symptoms your are describing with XFCE.

From your following answer, it looks like a cache corruption could be the root cause. In any case, this doesn't seem to be a generic problem so I'm closing the issue.

Issue History

Date Modified Username Field Change
2018-06-11 12:30 alimp5 New Issue
2018-06-11 12:40 alimp5 Note Added: 0009233
2018-06-11 21:57 elwood Assigned To => rhertzog
2018-06-11 21:57 elwood Status new => acknowledged
2018-06-11 21:57 elwood Additional Information Updated View Revisions
2018-06-12 08:22 g0tmi1k Priority high => normal
2018-06-12 08:22 g0tmi1k Severity major => minor
2018-06-13 06:55 alimp5 Note Added: 0009236
2018-06-15 13:33 rhertzog Status acknowledged => closed
2018-06-15 13:33 rhertzog Resolution open => unable to reproduce
2018-06-15 13:33 rhertzog Note Added: 0009258