View Issue Details
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0005771||Kali Linux||[All Projects] General Bug||public||2019-10-31 12:51||2019-10-31 12:51|
|Target Version||Fixed in Version|
|Summary||0005771: Gnome Display Manager stuck on Loop (Standalone Desktop)|
|Description||Installed Kali 2019.3 (5.2.0-kali2-amd64). The system crashes/freezes after every 10-15 mins on nouveau drivers. I was able to install Nvidia drivers from the official website with the help of .run file in tty mode and disabling nouveau drivers in grub and then installing Nvidia drivers. Also added blacklist conf file in the /etc/modprobe.d for disabling nouveau. Simply did an apt-get upgrade and rebooted. Even at this point, everything is working perfectly. As soon as I do apt-get dist-upgrade and reboot it is stuck at the gnome display manager. I also tried installing lightdm but did not work. |
I have an Alienware 15r3 laptop with Nvidia GTX 1070 card. Had no issues with it, but it works well with nouveau drivers and is updated to the latest kernel and boots up with ease.
|Steps To Reproduce||1.Need a standalone device with no hybrid VGA.|
2. Display should be connected to Nvidia Card
3. Install kali 2019.3 (5.2.0-kali2-amd64)
4. Open a browser and try to open youtube or try to move a window too fast, the system will freeze.
5. Try to install drivers by disabling nouveau and getting into tty mode.
6. Perform dist-upgrade (5.2.0-kali3-amd64)
7. Screen goes to Starting Gnome Display Manager Loop.
8. Boot into 5.2.0-kali2-amd64 and the problem goes away.