View Issue Details
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0006534||Kali Linux||[All Projects] Kali Package Improvement||public||2020-06-29 15:05||2020-06-29 15:05|
|Target Version||Fixed in Version|
|Summary||0006534: Slow OS installation when using internet|
|Description||While installing OS, when installation happens on internet, Download from mirror is very slow by default and calculation shows it may take around 10 to 18 hours to complete installation.|
After offline installation,
We need to perform below steps to improve the speed,
1. Install apt-transport-https package
2. Update/Install ca-certificate package
2. Make below small change in /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main non-free contrib
deb https://http.kali.org/kali kali-rolling main non-free contrib
After performing above steps/changes, Update and download speed increase by significant amount (Around 10 to 30 times).
If apt-transport-https package is available by default in offline package and source.list file is having the updated mirror link, Online Installation time will reduce by significant amount.
|Steps To Reproduce||Tested in Bharat (India), with mirror kali.org/kali|
1. After offline install, Try to install a large package using apt update && apt install <package-name>
2. Monitor the speed.
3. Perform the steps mentioned in Description.
4. Again install the same package using apt update && apt install <package-name>
5. Notice the change in speed.
|Additional Information||Kali Version: 2020.2a|